International and National Kissing Day
When is Kissing Day? International Kissing Day is July 6. National Kissing Day is June 19
Ahhh, isn’t a kiss intimately special? It is so special that we get two holidays to enjoy it. You can choose to participate in International Kissing Day or National Kissing Day. As for me and my sweetie, we will enjoy both days to the fullest extent possible. The objective of this very special day is to appreciate and enjoy a kiss. So, go ahead and swap some spit today. Pucker up and give out a big, juicy one with a loud “smack” to anyone and everyone.
Kissing originated thousands, and perhaps millions of years ago. It is believed to have originated from mouth-to-mouth feeding of parents to a child. My, it certainly has evolved over the centuries. But, why is that? The answer is simply because it makes us feel good.
There are all manners of kissing. You can be so happy with someone that “I could kiss you”. And, then you do. You can smooch on the couch. Teenagers enjoy necking parking in a car or other private places. In a similar manner, you can “Suck Face” almost anywhere when you are alone. You can be “making out” almost anywhere.
People are not the only creatures to smooch. Apes, cats, dogs, and dolphins, are among the animals that share a kiss or two.
Did You Know? Okay, you may not want to know this juicy tidbit. Kissing can transmit 80 million microbes of bacteria.
The World Record Longest Kiss: Ekkachai and Laksana Tiranarathold from Thailand hold this envious record at 58 hours, 35 minutes and 58 seconds. How would you like to beat that!?
Types of Kisses
There are all types of kisses. Which type you choose to bestow upon someone depends on the relationship that person is with you and the situation. Here are a few of them:
- The peck on the cheek is for greeting people like parents, grandparents, relatives, and a few good friends.
- The full-on-the-mouth kiss is passionate and primarily for lovers. The length is important. The longer, the better. Parents sometimes give a quick kiss to infants on the mouth, too.
- The French Kiss is the favorite among lovers. It is usually reserved for romantic situations and in private.
- The “Air Kiss” is often used in greetings at public events among casual acquaintances. A non-contact kiss is given to both cheeks, often accompanied by a “mwah” sound.
- A peck on both cheeks is another form of social greeting. It is similar to the air kiss but actually makes contact with the cheek. It is often accompanied by the “mwah” sound. It differs from the peck on the cheek, which is on one cheek.
How to Celebrate and Participate in Kissing Day
This is one of the most enjoyable holidays of all. I’m sure you can think of many ways to participate in this day. Here are a few suggestions:
- Pucker up and plant a big one on people you see today.
- Have a contest. See how many you can give/receive.
- Neck or smooch with that special someone. Then, see where it leads.
- Don’t be shy. If you are anticipating that first kiss with someone, do it today.
Today's Deep Thought
Stealing a kiss requires a partner in crime.
History and Origin of International and National Kissing Day
International Kissing Day, on July 6, clearly appears to have originated in the United Kingdom.
National Kissing Day, on June 19, has its roots in the United States and several other countries.
Here are more June 19 holidays and events you are sure to enjoy:
Here is another July 6 holiday you are sure to enjoy:
More About Today
Flower of the Day: Love-In-a-Mist
Recipe of the Day: Peaches with Brandy
Ecards Send a free Ecard daily for just about any July holiday, occasion, observance, or event. Or, just for the fun of it!
Holiday Insights, where every July day is a holiday, a bizarre or wacky day, an observance, or a special event. Join us in the daily calendar fun each and every day of the year.
Did You Know? There are literally thousands of daily July holidays, special events, and observances, more than one for every day of the year. Many of these holidays are new. People and organizations are creating new holidays regularly. July holidays are no exception. Consequently, at Holiday Insights, we take great efforts to thoroughly research and document the details of each one, as completely and accurately as possible.