How to Make Irish Soda Bread with Raisins Recipe
About this Irish Soda Bread Recipe
Description: If you are reading this Irish Soda Bread with Raisins recipe, “Top of the Morning to you!”. Chances are, Saint Patrick’s Day is approaching. That’s when most of us eat Irish Soda Bread. We hope once you try it, you will have Irish Soda Bread at other times of the year.
Yield: 1 loaf
Irish Sayings: When Irish eyes are smiling… they are probably up to something.
Irish Soda Bread Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
5 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons butter, softened
1 cup buttermilk
2/3 cup raisins
How to Make Irish Soda Bread Directions
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Spray an 8-inch-diameter cake pan with cooking oil spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, 4 tablespoons of sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- Add butter and mix together until coarse.
- In a second bowl, add buttermilk.
- Gradually stir dry ingredients into milk to blend.
- Mix in raisins.
- Shape the dough into a ball.
- Place dough onto the cake pan and flatten slightly. Do not bring the dough to the edges of the pan.
- Sprinkle dough with the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Bake the bread for 40 minutes, until brown. Use a toothpick to test for doneness.
- Cool bread in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with butter or margarine.
Related Recipes and Holidays
Great Recipe Resources
More About Today
Holiday Insights, where every day is a holiday, a bizarre or wacky day, an observance, or a special event. Join us in the daily calendar fun each and every day of the year.
Did You Know? There are literally thousands of daily holidays, special events, and observances, more than one for every day of the year. and many of these holidays are new. People and organizations are creating new holidays regularly. Consequently, at Holiday Insights, we take great efforts to thoroughly research and document the details of each one, as completely and accurately as possible.