National Cheese Day
About National Cheese Day
When is National Cheese Day? This holiday is always observed on June 4
Today is National Cheese Day, a June 4 holiday. From breakfast to late-night snacks, this is a day to enjoy ample amounts of a wide variety of cheeses.
People around the world love cheese. Americans consume on average around 31 pounds of cheese a year. We get to choose among a huge variety of flavors and textures.
Cheese is produced from pressed curds of milk. It has been a staple of our diets since ancient times, dating back as far back as 10,000 years ago. By the time of the Roman Empire, cheese had become widespread.
Depending upon who is counting, there are between 800 to 1,400 varieties of cheese to choose from, classified by taste and texture. Unfortunately, many of these varieties are little known and hard to find. Even so, there is no shortage of varieties in the market. The flavor and texture of cheeses are influenced by temperature, the aging process, and spices.
Did You Know? Cheese can be made from the milk of cows, goats, sheep, and even buffalos.
It is a sheer pleasure to celebrate National Cheese Day. Eat lots of cheese. From grilled cheese sandwiches to cheese soup and cheesecake, from American cheese to Brie, there’s no shortage of cheese varieties and recipes. Holding a Cheese Tasting party is a great way to celebrate National Cheese Day. Ps. Don’t forget to pair it with some great wines!
Today’s Slogan: Ban pre-shredded cheese. Make America grate again.
- Cheese is more flavorful at room temperature.
- Americans consume over 31 pounds of cheese per year. But, that’s nothing. But that’s nothing compared to the French, who eat over 50 pounds of cheese per year.
- Historical records vary, as to when cheese was first made. It was somewhere between 7,500 and 8,000 B.C. Records suggest it may have first been discovered, by accident, in Poland or Arabia.
- The world’s largest cheese was put on display on this day in 1964 at the New York World’s Fair. It weighed over 34,000 pounds.
How to Celebrate National Cheese Day
- Eat cheese, lots of it.
- Take up the challenge. Have cheese with breakfast, lunch, dinner, and for a snack today.
- Try it sprinkling it on at least one item you’ve never used it on before.
- Hold a cheese-tasting party.
- Have a contest with friends to name as many different kinds of cheese as you can.
- Have a variety that you have never tried.
“How can anyone govern a nation that has two hundred and forty-six different kinds of cheese?” – – Charles DeGaulle
History and Origin of National Cheese Lover Day
Our research did not find the creator, or the origin of this day. It does not appear to have been created too long ago, perhaps sometime since 2,000 A.D.
There is no evidence to suggest that this is truly a “National” day, which requires an act of congress. We found no congressional records or presidential proclamation about this special day.
Definition of “National” Days – and why it is important to distinguish true National days.
More June 4 Holidays
More About Today
Flower of the Day: Tickseed
Recipe of the Day: Pumpkin Cheesecake
Ecards Send a free Ecard daily for just about any June calendar holiday, occasion, observance, or event. Or, just for the fun of it!
Holiday Insights, where every day in June is a holiday, a bizarre or wacky day, an observance, or a special event. Join us in the daily calendar fun each and every day of the year.
Did You Know? There are literally thousands of daily holidays, special events, and observances, more than one for every day of the year. and many of these holidays are new. People and organizations are creating new holidays regularly. June holidays are no exception. Consequently, at Holiday Insights, we take great efforts to thoroughly research and document the details of each one, as completely and accurately as possible.