World Snake Day
About World Snake Day
When is World Snake Day? This holiday is always celebrated on July 16
A lot of people are afraid of snakes. It’s not just women who are scared. Many guys are afraid of them, too. Today is World Snake Day, a July 16 holiday. If you are one of the many millions of people afraid of coming across a snake in the grass, you have ophidiophobia. And perhaps you should stay indoors until this holiday is over. If you have If the snakes find out this holiday is for them, they, will come out of their dens and roam freely all over the place.
Snakes have been around since the Garden of Eden. So, it only fitting, that the world has a special day to celebrate snakes. The Bible tells us that in the garden of Eden, Satan appeared to Eve in the form of a snake. He convinced Eve to take a bite of an apple from the forbidden tree. That connection to Satan gave these serpents a bad reputation since the beginning of time. Perhaps that’s why so many people are afraid of them.
Are you an ophidiophobe? If you are, you suffer from ophidiophobia, a fear of snakes. But don’t feel too bad. Over 1/3 of adults, male and female, have ophidiophobia.
- There are over 3400 species of snakes.
- Snakes are on every continent, except Antarctica.
- There are no native land snakes in Hawaii. The only exceptions are boa constrictors and other pet snakes that were illegally imported into the state.
- Snakes eat insects, rodents, and frogs. Large snakes can even eat small animals like small deer, pigs, monkeys, and small dogs.
- Snakes swallow their food whole.
- The longest snakes are a species of python, which can reach 30 feet in length.
- The heaviest snake, an Anaconda, weighed 550 pounds.
- The smallest snake is just 4 inches long.
- Snakes shed their skin 3-6 times per year.
Did You Know? Earthworms were once believed to be a species of snakes. Gardeners killed every one they found, unaware of the beneficial effect of earthworms in gardens.
How to Celebrate and Participate in World Snake Day
Here are a few ideas on how to World Snake Day:
- If you have ophidiophobia, stay indoors and away from them until this holiday is over.
- Conquer your fears. Carefully, pick up a non-venomous snake.
- Learn more about them.
- Buy a pet snake.
“There are more important things than outward appearance. No amount of make-up can cover an ugly personality.” – – Audrey Hepburn
History and Origin of World Snake Day
We have not yet found the originator of this special day. The key historical reference for World Snake Day is Day 6 of Creation when God created Adam and Eve. Satan appeared as a snake and tempted Eve into eating the forbidden fruit.
Based on this historical event, we believe that Adam and Eve created World Snake Day! If it wasn’t them, then it certainly we Satan himself.
More July 16 Holidays
Now that you’ve learned about World Snake Day, here is another July 16 holiday we are sure you will enjoy:
More About Today
Flower of the Day: Rose of Sharon
Recipe of the Day: Spinach and Mushroom Salad
Ecards Send a free Ecard daily for just about any July calendar holiday, occasion, observance, or event. Or, just for the fun of it!
Holiday Insights, where every day in July is a holiday, a bizarre or wacky day, an observance, or a special event. Join us in the daily calendar fun each and every day of the year.
Did You Know? There are literally thousands of daily holidays, special events, and observances, more than one for every day of the year. and many of these holidays are new. People and organizations are creating new holidays regularly. July holidays are no exception. Consequently, at Holiday Insights, we take great efforts to thoroughly research and document the details of each one, as completely and accurately as possible.