National Whipped Cream Day
About National Whip Cream Day
When is National Whipped Cream Day? This holiday is always observed on January 5
Whipped cream is light, airy, and sweet. Originally called “Snow Milk”, we use it as a topping or an ingredient in countless recipes. Many beverages and desserts are just not the same without a dollop of whipped cream on top. Today is National Whipped Cream Day. It is destined to be a sweet holiday. On this January 5 holiday, use it on everything you can imagine. As a matter of fact, we challenge you to be creative and use it on or in as many ways as you can imagine.
Whipped cream was first created in Italy in the 1500s. It was first called “Snow Milk” and later “Snow Cream”. It wasn’t until the 1600s that people began to call it “Whipped Cream”. Originally made from milk, people beat the milk with branches. This caused the fats in the milk to create air bubbles, turning it light and fluffy….. and tasty. Later heavy cream was used as it contained more fats, resulting in an even airier mixture.
Important Note: There are many imitations out there. Called Whipped toppings, they are not made from milk or heavy cream. On this special food holiday, it is unacceptable to use anything but the real thing.
Uses for Whip Cream
There are almost unlimited culinary uses of whipped cream. In some cases, it is a topping. In others, it is an ingredient in a recipe.
Here are some of the culinary uses:
- Pies and cakes
- Hot Chocolate
- Ice Cream topping. Don’t forget the cherry on top!
- Coffees and lattes
- Heavenly Hash
- Waffles and pancakes
There are non-culinary uses, too: For example:
- It is used in games. Ie. Pie Face.
- It is used in gags and tricks.
How to Make Whipped Cream
Here is the simple, classic whipped cream recipe:
Yield: Approximately 2 cups
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon Confectionary sugar
- A pinch of salt
Directions on How to Make Whipped Cream:
- Chill the cream, bowl, and beaters.
- Place all the ingredients into the chilled bowl.
- Use an electric mixer to whip the ingredients until it is light and fluffy, and peaks have formed.
- Place in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it.
Note: You can add all kinds of flavorings to it, as you desire. May we suggest caramel, cinnamon, chocolate, coconut, rum or other flavored liquors.
Ways to Participate in National Whipped Cream Day
- Put it on or into everything you can think of today.
- Make your own homemade whipped cream. Homemade is always the best.
- Make something with it and bring it to work to share with co-workers.
- Try it in a new recipe you’ve never made before.
- Make something with it and give it to family or friends.
- Look on your spice rack and in your liquor cabinet for a new flavor to try.
- Lovers, can you think of anything else to do with whipped cream!?
“Do you think that when they asked George Washington for ID that he just whipped out a quarter?” – – Steven Wright
History and Origin of National Whipped Cream Day
Our research has not uncovered who created National Whipped Cream Day. We also did not find any information on why this day was created. Although we have our suspicions. Certainly, it was someone who loveds it.
We traced the origin of this holiday to 2017.
We found no presidential proclamation or Act of Congress declaring this a true “National ” day. Maybe you will petition your local congressman to make a proposal to Congress.
Definition of “National” Days – and why it is important to distinguish true National days.
More January 5 Holidays
More About Today
Holiday Insights, where every day in January is a holiday, a bizarre or wacky day, an observance, or a special event. Join us in the daily calendar fun each and every day of the year.
Did You Know? There are literally thousands of daily holidays, special events, and observances, more than one for every day of the year. and many of these holidays are new. People and organizations are creating new holidays regularly. January holidays are no exception. Consequently, at Holiday Insights, we take great efforts to thoroughly research and document the details of each one, as completely and accurately as possible.