International Left Handers Day
When is International Left Handers Day? This event is always observed on August 13
If you are a Leftie, Then International Left-Handers Day is just for you! Left Hander’s certainly earned the right to have a day dedicated to them. This August 13 holiday is that day. Take a minute to appreciate your left-handed friends and loved ones. Also, our left handed trivia will make you an expert on the subject.
Left Handers, also commonly referred to as Southpaws, are the brunt of more than their share of jokes all year long. How do I know? Yup, you guessed it! It ain’t easy being a leftie. But those of us who are would have it no other way. Lefties are proud of it.
The world is built for right-handers. Examples are everywhere. For example:
- In school, have you ever seen a left-handed desk? They don’t exist.
- Many left-handed items cost more.
- Novelty coffee mugs have the picture or text imprinted for a right-handed pick-up.
- Scissors for right-handers. Only a lefty would understand this.
- The computer mouse is for right-handed users.
Did you Know? Right-handed people operate on the left side of the brain. Left-handed people use the right side. Therefore, only left-handed people are in their right mind.
Remember today and every day: “Lefties have rights!”
As lefthanders, we never do anything right…Kewl!
Left Handed Facts and Trivia
Here are some left handed trivia and facts:
- Sinistrophobia is the fear of left-handedness or things on the left side.
- While many people are left-handed, very few are 100% left-handed. For example, many Left handers golf and bat right-handed. On the other hand, there is a high percentage of righties who are 100% right-handed.
- Lefties are also called “southpaws”. In baseball, the term describes a left-handed pitcher.
- Tuesdays are Lefties’ lucky day.
- Only about 10% of the population is left-handed.
- During the 1600’s people, thought left-handers were witches and warlocks.
- International Left Hander’s Day was first celebrated on August 13, 1976. Lefthander’s International created this holiday.
- Many famous people in history are left-handed, including Julius Caesar, Aristotle, Alexander the Great, Mahatma Gandhi, Joan of Arc, Napoleon Bonaparte, Lord Baden-Powell, Queen Elizabeth II, and Prince Charles.
- Presidential Lefthanders: James A. Garfield, Herbert Hoover, Harry S. Truman, John F. Kennedy, Ronald Reagan, George H. W. Bush, Bill Clinton, and Barack Obama.
- Famous notorious left-handers include: Osama bin Laden, Boston Strangler, and Jack the Ripper
- They say everyone was born right-handed, and only the greatest overcome it. (he,he,he)
- There is a town in West Virginia, where everyone is a Left Hander! That town is Left Hand, WV.
- All polar bears are left-handed. Also, see Polar Bear Day.
- Left-handed people are more likely to suffer insomnia. Now, that will keep me up at night!
- There is a rumor that octopuses have but one right hand. Scientists are diligently studying this issue.
- Left-handed people process information more quickly.
- Left-handed college graduates have a 26% greater chance of becoming rich. I’m all for that!
Think about it: Everyone is a Left Hander in Left Hand, West Virginia.
Lefthander’s Slogan: “Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it”. …Brilliant Author unknown
How to Celebrate in International Left Handers Day
- Savor the moment. Enjoy being in your right mind.
- We challenge all Righties to do things left-handed today.
- If everyone can be Irish on Saint Patrick’s Day, everyone can be left-handed today.
- Send a Left-Handed Day Ecard to show your respect.
“Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.” – – Pablo Picasso
History and Origin of International Left Handers Day
Dean R. Campbell, the founder of Left Handers International, created this special day. It was first celebrated on August 13, 1976.
There is some false reference on the Internet, suggesting that Left Hander’s Day is in January. It seemed to appear around 2010-2012. This is incorrect. We suspect someone wanted to create this day in January but did not do their homework to find out that it already exists.
There is also one or two sites that call it “National Left Handers Day”. These references began around 2017, and are incorrect. The celebration of Left Handers is an international worldwide event.
More About Today
Recipe of the Day: Shoo-Fly Cake
Plant of the Day: Blueberry
Ecards Send a free Ecard daily for just about any August calendar holiday, occasion, observance, or event. Or, just for the fun of it!
Holiday Insights, where every day in August is a holiday, a bizarre or wacky day, an observance, or a special event. Join us in the daily calendar fun each and every day of the year.
Did You Know? There are literally thousands of daily holidays, special events, and observances, more than one for every day of the year. Many of these holidays are new. People and organizations are creating new holidays regularly. August holidays are no exception. Consequently, at Holiday Insights, we take great efforts to thoroughly research and document the details of each one, as completely and accurately as possible.