About Hammock Day
When is Hammock Day? This holiday is always observed on July 22
Summer is in full swing. It’s time to slow down and relax. During the Dog Days of summer (and all of the other summer days, too), there is no better place to slow down and relax, than on a hammock under a shady tree. Therefore Hammock Day, a July 22 holiday, is celebrated at the perfect time of year.
This holiday is appropriately celebrated right in the middle of the Dog Days of summer (July 3 through August 11th).
Hammock Day exists to celebrate and enjoy summer as it should be enjoyed. People celebrate this day by spending as much time relaxing on it as possible. There’s a wide variety of hammocks. Most notably, single and double hammocks. The doubles exist so you can lounge today with someone special. Getting out of your hammock to get a snack, or your favorite summer beverage is okay. But, it is not a day for work. Cutting the lawn is forbidden on this day.
- According to the Guinness World Book of Records, the world’s largest hammock measures 2,113.05 ft². It was made by King Digital Entertainment (UK) and presented in New York, New York September 2, 2015. The bed measures 68 feet 4 inches long and 30 feet 10 inches wide. You could have a big party on it!
- The Mayans invented the hammock.
- Mayans fashioned hammocks out of the Hammack tree. Obviously, the name was derived from this tree.
- Hammack trees are native to Latin America.
- Christopher Columbus brought them back to Europe.
- English sailors were the first to use the on ships.
How to Participate in Hammock Day
- Grab a book and your favorite summer cooler. Then, hang up your hammock and hop in.
- If you don’t have a hammock, buy one. Do it early enough that you can have a nice nap in the shade.
“If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.” – – Dalai Lama
History and Origin of Hammock Day
Hammock Day was created by Bob Matthews, of Holiday Insights in 2008. Bob says that our lives are normally busy and hectic. Summers are a special time to lay back, enjoy the weather and the great outdoors, and recharge our batteries. What better way to do this, than from the comfort of a hammock under a shady tree!?
Some websites have erroneously reported this as a “National” day. According to Bob Matthews, the creator of Hammock Day, this IS NOT a “National” day. If you see it posted anywhere as a national day, we’d sure appreciate it if you would contact the webmaster to have it corrected.
Definition of “National” Days – and why it is so important to distinguish and identify true national days.
More July 22 Holidays
More About Today
Recipe of the Day: Eggplant with Mushrooms
Flower of the Day: Love in a Mist
Ecards Send a free Ecard daily for just about any July calendar holiday, occasion, observance, or event. Or, just for the fun of it!
Holiday Insights, where every day in July is a holiday, a bizarre or wacky day, an observance, or a special event. Join us in the daily calendar fun each and every day of the year.
Did You Know? There are literally thousands of daily holidays, special events, and observances, more than one for every day of the year. Many of these holidays are new. People and organizations are creating new holidays regularly. July holidays are no exception. Consequently., at Holiday Insights, we take great efforts to thoroughly research and document the details of each one, as completely and accurately as possible.