Steamed Crabs Recipe and Other Seafood
How to Steam Crabs Recipe
Description: Use the process in this steamed crab recipe. You can also use it to steam lobsters and other seafood.
Crabs, clams, lobster, and other seafood should be steamed in a large steam pot with a basket to hold the seafood above the water.
How Long to Steam: Crab steaming time varies, depending upon the size of the pot, the amount of crabs, whether they are live or frozen, and the heating source. In general, steam crabs for at least 20-30 minutes. The top of the shells will be orange when they are done.
Note: You can boil crabs and other seafood, but the flavor will not be as good. The texture is affected, and nutrients are lost to the boiling water.
Today’s Quote: “The supernatural is the natural not yet understood.” – – Elbert Hubbard
Here's How to Steam Crabs
- You can steam both live and frozen crabs.
- Keep both live crab and frozen crabs cold, until ready to put into the steam pot.
- Pour water into the pot to just below the bottom of the basket.
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Place the crabs into the basket and add crab seasoning, if desired.
- Place the basket inside the steam pot.
- Put the lid on tightly.
- Check the water level from time to time, to assure it does not all evaporate.
- Plan on 15-20 minutes steaming time, longer if you have a lot of crabs in the pot.
- As the crabs are near being done, steam will start to come out from under the lid.
- Continue to steam for another 5 to 10 minutes.
- When cooked, the top shell of the crabs will be a shade of orange.
- Just before the crabs are done, melt ample amounts of butter.
- Remove cooked crabs from the steam pot and serve hot.
- Turn off the steam pot and keep extra crabs in it until ready to serve.
Great Recipe Resources
More About Today
Holiday Insights, where every day is a holiday, a bizarre or wacky day, an observance, or a special event. Join us in the daily calendar fun each and every day of the year.
Did You Know? There are literally thousands of daily holidays, special events, and observances, more than one for every day of the year. and many of these holidays are new. People and organizations are creating new holidays regularly. Consequently, at Holiday Insights, we take great efforts to thoroughly research and document the details of each one, as completely and accurately as possible.