World Dream Day
About World Dream Day
When is World Dream Day Celebrated? This special day is always observed on September 25
Is your life on “Cloud 9”? We hope you’re “livin’ the dream” as today is World Dream Day. If not, use this September 25 holiday to do something about it. According to the creator of this holiday, the goal is to “bring people together and to motivate us to have big dreams”. It also impresses upon us that we have the power to make all of our hopes and aspirations come true. Today is a perfect day to make plans for our future and to take steps to make those dreams come true. While you are doing these things today, share your hopes and aspirations with the special people in your life.
This holiday is also a time to reflect upon the dreams, and sometimes nightmares, you have when you’re asleep. But, do you even remember them? If not, it’s okay. Try as we might, most of us forget them upon awakening. In our sleep, our hopes and aspirations, along with our many fears, often play themselves out during REM sleep only to fade away as we open our eyes to a new day.
Most dreams occur at night in bed. But, they can come to us anywhere and anytime we fall asleep. You may have one while taking a catnap in front of the television or falling asleep at work. If you fall asleep at work, you’ll more likely experience a nightmare that the boss catches you snoozing on the job. You can also be daydreaming as you go about your busy day. This can be a pleasant experience, or you may find yourself bumping into a wall or other object.
Song of the Day: What a Day for a Daydream by the Lovin Spoonful (1966)
Here’s a little dreamy trivia to share with your friends:
- It is not known why we dream.
- Researchers have not concluded the purpose of dreams.
- We all dream. Hopefully, they aren’t nightmares.
- Unfortunately, we forget most of them.
- There is no conclusive evidence that they predict the future.
- Sometimes while we are sleeping, we are aware that we are dreaming and can even influence the direction or outcome of the dream.
- Our most vivid dreams come during Rapid Eye Movement (REM) sleep.
- Kids have more nightmares than adults.
- Eating late at night increases the likelihood of having nightmares.
- Women have more scary dreams than men.
- Recurring dreams often have themes.
- 12% of dreams are in black & white.
- During periods of low stress in our lives, dreams tend to be more pleasant.
How to Celebrate and Participate in World Dream Day
Here are some of the many ways to enjoy this special holiday:
- Go to a quiet place and visualize what you want your future to be and with whom.
- Spend the day daydreaming.
- Set high goals and objectives for your life.
- Strive to make your dreams come true.
- Take a nap or go to bed for the night and have pleasant dreams.
- Allow your mind to drift to vacation planning. Just don’t let your boss catch you daydreaming.
- If your dreams are about another person, tell them what you dreamt.
- Wish upon a star. Then, your dreams will come true!
Today's Dreamy Quotes
- “Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.” – – Buddha
- “If you can dream it, you can do it.” – – Walt Disney
- “You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” – – Les Brown
- “If you even dream of beating me you’d better wake up and apologize.” – – Muhammad Ali
- “Some people dream of success, while other people get up every morning and make it happen.” – – Wayne Huizenga
History and Origin of World Dream Day
Educator and leading transformational strategist Ozioma Egwuonwucreated World Dream Day in 2012. She is a consultant for strategic problems and transformational initiatives for a wide range of clients.
More September 25 Holidays
More About Today
Holiday Insights, where every day in September is a holiday, a bizarre or wacky day, an observance, or a special event. Join us in the daily calendar fun each and every day of the year.
Did You Know? There are literally thousands of daily holidays, special events, and observances, more than one for every day of the year. Many of these holidays are new. People and organizations are creating new holidays on a regular basis. September holidays are no exception. At Holiday Insights, we take great efforts to thoroughly research and document the details of each one, as completely and accurately as possible.