Moldy Cheese Day
About Moldy Cheese Day
Date When Celebrated: This holiday is always observed on October 9
Moldy Cheese Day is today, an October 9 holiday. Do you have any moldy cheese in your refrigerator? Do you need to have moldy cheese to celebrate this day? And, if you have any moldy cheese, what would you do with it today?
Every once in a while, we come across a special day that has no apparent rhyme or reason. Today is one of those days. But, that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t celebrate this wonderful(?) and special holiday. Au contrare……. scour through the refrigerators at home and work today for moldy cheese. Office refrigerators are a great place to find moldy stuff. See if that moldy piece of cheese is salvageable. And, just enjoy the day.
If you find moldy cheese, take a slice off each side. The insides could still be good.
Did you Know? Mold is common in cheese. It’s part of what gives a particular cheese flavor and character. For example, the blue stuff in Blu Cheese is mold.
Here are some cheese trivia factoids to impress your friends with your cheesy knowledge:
- American cheese is a processed cheese made by combining Cheddar and Colby cheeses along with other ingredients. It is melted and then cooled into a smooth texture.
- It takes ten pounds of milk to make one pound of cheese.
- Shortly after arriving in the New World, British colonists began making cheddar cheese. By 1790, cheddar cheese was exported back to England.
- Swiss cheese is the most popular on subs.
- The holes in Swiss cheese are sir pockets formed by bacteria during the aging process.
- Thanks to pizza, mozzarella is America’s favorite cheese.
- Cheese curds squeak because the elastic protein strands in the cheese rub against the enamel of your teeth.
- Some varieties of cheese help to prevent tooth decay by promoting saliva.
How to Celebrate Moldy Cheese Day
- Go through your cheese drawer and look for mold on the cheese.
- A little mold can be removed by slicing it off the block.
- If there’s a lot of cheese mold on the outside, discard the cheese.
- Have a cheese party.
- Better yet, have a wine and cheese party.
“Nothing says holiday like a cheese log.” – – Ellen DeGeneres
History and Origin ofMoldy Cheese Day
Our research did not find the creator or the origin of this day.
We found a stray reference or two suggesting this is a “National” day. We can’t believe that the “Big Cheeses” in Washington would declare a national day for moldy cheese. Have you ever known our elected officials to waste time debating worthless topics?
More October 9 Holidays
Here are more October 9 holidays for you to enjoy:
More About Today
Recipe of the Day: Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars
Also See: Pumpkin Recipes Galore and Holiday Recipes and Halloween Recipes
Pumpkin Nook – Visit the folks that know everything about pumpkins. Halloween, too.
Ecards Send a free Ecard daily for just about any October calendar holiday, occasion, observance, or event. Or, just for the fun of it!
Holiday Insights, where every day in October is a holiday, a bizarre or wacky day, an observance, or a special event. Join us in the daily calendar fun each and every day of the year.
Did You Know? There are literally thousands of daily holidays, special events, and observances, more than one for every day of the year. Many of these holidays are new. People and organizations are creating new holidays regularly. October holidays are no exception. Consequently., at Holiday Insights, we take great efforts to thoroughly research and document the details of each one, as completely and accurately as possible.