National Candy Corn Day
About National Candy Corn Day
Date When Celebrated: This holiday is always observed on October 30
National Candy Corn Day is today, an October 30 holiday. Halloween isn’t the same without a bowl of this sweet candy sitting on the counter, ready for you to grab a handful. Enjoy a handful of this sweet Fall treat. And, what perfect timing. National Candy Corn Day comes just a day before Halloween. That means you can eat plenty of it before you go out Trick or Treating.
You can enjoy this candy all year long. Place it in a candy dish any time of the year, and watch it disappear by the handful. Americans consume the vast majority of candy corn during the Fall months. Halloween and Thanksgiving are the biggest times to eat it.
Candy Corn Trivia
- Candy corn was originally called “Chicken Feed”. Aren’t you glad they changed the name!?
- Invented in the 1880s by George Renninger, candy corn was first manufactured by the Wunderle Candy Company in Philadelphia, Pa.
- The Goelitz Candy company was the first to manufacture mass quantities around the turn of the century.
- The original way to make candy corn, was to pour each color separately into molds, a very long, time-consuming process.
- Today, the Jelly Belly factory has a machine that produces 1200 kernels per second!
- Candy corn consists primarily of corn syrup, honey, and sugar. There are lots of carbs(sugar), but it’s fat-free!?
- 19 pieces of candy corn has 38 grams of sugar.
- People consume over 35 million pounds, or 9 billion pieces, worldwide annually.
How to Celebrate National Candy Corn Day
It’s easy and fun to celebrate food holidays. This holiday is no exception.
Buy some candy corn and place it in a bowl for everyone to enjoy!
Thought for Today
No problem is so big, or so complicated, that it can’t be run away from.
History and Origin of National Candy Corn Day
Our research did not find the creator or the origin of this day. We believe the National Confectioner’s Association played a role in the creation of this holiday. The earliest reference to this day is 2011.
This holiday is referred to as a “National” day. We did not find any documentation confirming this to be a “National” day. We found no congressional records or presidential proclamation.
More October 30 Holidays
More About Today
Recipe of the Day: Pumpkin Rum Mousse
Also See: Pumpkin Recipes Galore and Holiday Recipes and Halloween Recipes
Ecards Send a free Ecard daily for just about any October calendar holiday, occasion, observance, or event. Or, just for the fun of it!
Holiday Insights, where every day in October is a holiday, a bizarre or wacky day, an observance, or a special event. Join us in the daily calendar fun each and every day of the year.
Did You Know? There are literally thousands of daily holidays, special events, and observances, more than one for every day of the year. Many of these holidays are new. People and organizations are creating new holidays regularly. October holidays are no exception. Consequently., at Holiday Insights, we take great efforts to thoroughly research and document the details of each one, as completely and accurately as possible.