Polar Bear Day
About Polar Bear Day
When is Polar Bear Day? This holiday is always celebrated on February 27
Polar Bear Day, a February 27 holiday, celebrates the world’s largest carnivore. These hardy bears can grow up to nine feet tall when standing and 1400 pounds. They are a favorite at zoos around the country. Polar bears live in the North Pole region and are native to Alaska, Canada, Greenland, Norway, and Russia. They also live in Antarctica.
Need some ideas on how to celebrate today? Tops on my list are visiting the local zoo to see live polar bears. Teachers like to use this day to teach about polar bears and other bears, as kids are fascinated with all kinds of bears. Also, check the nature channels on cable TV. The networks often pick up on holidays like today and run documentaries.
Did you Know? It is believed that all polar bears are left-handed. See Left Hander’s Day
The Polar Bear Boy Scouts and other groups hold this event at summer camps. First thing every morning at camp (and before breakfast), they go down to the lake and jump in the water for a swim. If they complete the swim every day while at camp, they receive a certificate.
Polar Bear Trivia
- They are considered marine mammals because they spend a lot of time in the ocean.
- Polar bears are the world’s largest carnivores.
- They survive in one of the harshest environments in the world.
- A heavy layer of blubber under their skin keeps them warm.
- They are excellent swimmers.
- The skin under their fur is black.
- Seals are the majority of their diet.
- They have a great sense of smell. They can smell a seal from over 16 kilometers away.
- There are an estimated 20,000 in the wild.
How to Celebrate Polar Bear Day
- Chances are you are not about to go on a polar expedition today. So, go to the zoo to see them.
- Watch a television documentary on polar bears.
- Read about them online.
“There is no security on this Earth. There is only opportunity.” – – Douglass MacArthur
History and Origin of Polar Bear Day
Our research did not find the creator or the origin of this day.
There is some reference to this day as a “National” or “International” day. We found no documentation to support it……so far.
More February 27 Holidays
More About Today
What happened on this Day? This Day in History
Flower of the Day: Celosia
Recipe of the Day: Grandma’s Homemade Apple Pie
Ecards We’ve got you covered with free daily Ecards for just about any February holiday, occasion, event, or no event at all!
Holiday Insights, where every day in February is a holiday, a bizarre or wacky day, an observance, or a special event. Join us in the daily calendar fun each and every day of the year.
Did You Know? There are literally thousands of daily holidays, special events, and observances, more than one for every day of the year. and many of these holidays are new. People and organizations are creating new holidays regularly. February holidays are no exception. Consequently, at Holiday Insights, we take great efforts to thoroughly research and document the details of each one, as completely and accurately as possible.