Organ Donor Day
About Organ Donor Day
When is Organ Donor Day? This holiday is always celebrated on February 14
National Organ Donor Day encourages people to sign up to donate their organs. It may save a life. As a matter of fact, one person who donates his organs can save up to 8 lives! On this February 14 holiday, we encourage you to officially become an organ donor. We also encourage you to become a tissue donor. Doing so helps to improve the lives of others.
Let’s talk about your untimely death. Sure, it is uncomfortable to think of our own death, especially an early one. But, if it was to happen, you could save other lives. You are giving the gift of life to other people. So, please consider seriously signing up to donate your organs and tissue.
Organ Donor Trivia
Here is some interesting trivia about organ donations and tissue donations as well:
- There are 170 million organ donors.
- Unfortunately, only 1 in about 1,000 people dies in a way that their organs can be used. For example, some people die in a fire, or their body is not immediately discovered in time to harvest the organs.
- You can donate one kidney while you are alive.
- You can also donate a portion of your liver while you are still alive.
- About 100,000 people in the United States are awaiting the gift of life.
- There is no age limit for donors. Some states allow donors under the age of 18.
How to Participate in Organ Donor Day
- Consider becoming an organ donor.
- Better become an organ donor today. And, make it official.
Thought for Today
“Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it. ” – – Confucius
History and Origin of Organ Donor Day
The move to get people to become organ donors has grown sidnificantly over the past few decades. A lot is known about this effort and the organizations that promote organ donations. However, we have not yet discovered who created this special holiday or the year it was created. We do know it has gone back at least to 2000.
Originally this holiday was called Organ Donor Day. Around 2015 – 2017 some websites began to call it National Organ Donor Day. We did not find a congressional or presidential proclamation to make it a true “National” day.
More February 14 Holidays
More About Today
Holiday Insights, where every day in February is a holiday, a bizarre or wacky day, an observance, or a special event. Join us in the daily calendar fun each and every day of the year.
Did You Know? There are literally thousands of daily holidays, special events, and observances, more than one for every day of the year. and many of these holidays are new. People and organizations are creating new holidays regularly. February holidays are no exception. Consequently, at Holiday Insights, we take great efforts to thoroughly research and document the details of each one, as completely and accurately as possible.