National Pizza Day
About National Pizza Day
When is National Pizza Day? This holiday is always celebrated on February 22
Why, this is a great day, as it is National Pizza Day, a February 22 holiday. Today is just one of several pizza holidays. That’s because the vast majority of people, in America and around the world, love pizza and eat it regularly. So, we need more than one pizza-related holiday.
Pizza pies are very versatile, with a huge assortment of things you can put on them, including meats, vegetables, and fruits. And, don’t forget the fish. Anchovies! With all this variety, there is a pizza for just about everybody. Pizza is eaten for breakfast (often cold), lunch, dinner, and as a late-night snack. It is a very popular food for parties and events. On the go? Pizza is a great selection and it’s perfect for moving day.
It is very easy to enjoy National Pizza Day. Have some pizza today. To enjoy this day to the fullest, you need to make homemade pizza and have pizza for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and as a snack.
Here is some interesting trivia on the ever popular pizza:
- Pepperoni is the most popular, preferred by 36% of the people.
- Over 3 Billion pizzas are sold in the U.S. each year.
- More pizzas are sold on Super Bowl Sunday, than any other day of the year.
- Halloween is the second most popular day for eating pizzas.
- Over 17% of restaurants are pizzerias or serve pizza.
- The first pizza was sold in Naples Italy in 1738.
- Pizzas most likely evolved as a variation of flatbreads.
- Americans consume over 23 pounds of pizza per year.
How to Celebrate National Pizza Day
It’s easy to celebrate this holiday.
- Eat plenty of pizzas with your favorite toppings.
- Take up the pizza challenge. Eat pizza for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and your night evening snack.
- Make a homemade pizza.
- Have a pizza party, with plenty of varieties.
- Play the Pizza Party board game.
“You better cut the pizza into four pieces because I’m not hungry enough to eat six.” – Yogi Berra
History and Origin of National Pizza Day
Our research did not find the creator or the origin of this day. This is typical of so many food-related holidays.
We did not find any documentation confirming this to be a true “National” day. We found no congressional records or presidential proclamation.
Definition of “National” Days – and why it is important to distinguish true National days.
More February 9 Holidays
More About Today
Holiday Insights, where every day in February is a holiday, a bizarre or wacky day, an observance, or a special event. Join us in the daily calendar fun each and every day of the year.
Did You Know? There are literally thousands of daily holidays, special events, and observances, more than one for every day of the year. and many of these holidays are new. People and organizations are creating new holidays regularly. February holidays are no exception. Consequently, at Holiday Insights, we take great efforts to thoroughly research and document the details of each one, as completely and accurately as possible.