National Bicarbonate of Soda Day
When is National Bicarbonate of Soda Day? This special day is always observed on December 30
National Bicarbonate of Soda Day, also called Baking Soda Day, is today. That’s because bicarbonate of soda and baking soda are the same thing. This December 30 holiday celebrates the many benefits and uses of Bicarbonate of Soda. Bicarbonate of soda has many beneficial uses. Why, after all of the holiday drinking and eating, it helps to ease indigestion and heartburn.
Just how does baking soda work and what, specifically, does it do? It’s quite simple. We will skip the chemistry lesson on what it chemically is, and how it is made. Rather let’s talk about what it is, and what it does. The bicarbonate of soda is a chemical compound – sodium carbonate or sodium bicarbonate. When heated, it creates carbon dioxide, a gas. The gas aids a variety of bakery products to rise as they cook.
Benefits and Uses of Bicarbonate of Soda
Many people just think of Bicarbonate of Soda as something you use for baking. But, it has so many more uses. Here are just a few of them:
- Baking- helps baked goods, like bread, to rise
- Relieve stomach indigestion and heartburn when mixed in water
- Removing odors in the refrigerator, vents, storage areas, and closets
- Removing odor in kitty litter
- It is used in fire extinguishers for grease and oil fires
- It is often used as a cleaning agent
- It can be used as a meat tenderizer
- Put it in water with beans to minimize flatulence from eating beans
- Polish Silverware
- Remove burned food from a pot or a pan
- Relieve the itch of insect bites
- Ease sunburn pain
- Brush your teeth with it
- Use as an underarm deodorant
- Helps fight chronic kidney disease
- And, the list goes on, and on, and……
How to Celebrate National Bicarbonate of Soda Day
- Use baking soda in as many ways as possible today.
- Take one of the uses you’ve never tried before and try it out.
- If you don’t have any in your cupboard, go buy some.
Thought for Today
The two hardest things to handle in life are failure and success.
History and Origin of National Bicarbonate of Soda Day
Despite a whole lot of reference to this day, we found no content to help to identify the origin or the creator of this day.
With so many uses, it would sure make sense for Baking Soda to have a national day of recognition. Informally, it is indeed called a “National” day. However, we found no congressional records or presidential proclamations.
Definition of “National” Days – and why it is important to distinguish the true national days.
More December 30 Holidays
More About Today
Recipe of the Day: May we suggest: Homemade Garden Salsa – Great for parties!
Also See: Holiday Recipes and Pumpkin Recipes Galore
Ecards Send a free Ecard daily for just about any December calendar holiday, occasion, observance, or event. Or, just for the fun of it!
Holiday Insights, where every day in December is a holiday, a bizarre or wacky day, an observance, or a special event. Join us in the daily calendar fun each and every day of the year.
Did You Know? There are literally thousands of daily holidays, special events, and observances, more than one for every day of the year. and many of these holidays are new. People and organizations are creating new holidays regularly. December holidays are no exception. Consequently., at Holiday Insights, we take great efforts to thoroughly research and document the details of each one, as completely and accurately as possible.