Baked Beans Recipe
About this Baked Beans Recipe
With this recipe, you can make baked beans just like Grandma used to make them. They are so much better than store-bought canned baked beans. There are just 8 baked beans ingredients in this recipe. These baked beans are perfect for picnics, campouts, and many other summertime or fall parties and events. They taste good any time of the year. So, why not have them sometime this week!?
Depending on the size of the group, you may need to double this recipe.
Baked Beans Recipe Ingredients
2 pounds Navy beans
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 medium onion peeled and diced
1/2 pound diced salt pork or thick sliced bacon cut into 2–3-inch strips
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup molasses
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt (Optional; if on a low-salt diet)
How to Make Baked Beans Recipe
- Rinse and sort beans, removing any bad ones.
- Put beans in a bowl, cover with water, and let soak overnight.
- Drain beans and place beans in a saucepan, covering them with warm water.
- Cover the pot, and simmer for 1 hour until just tender.
- Drain beans and place in a 2-quart casserole dish, reserving the water.
- Add diced salt pork. If using bacon strips, or bacon strips. Either mix in the bacon strips at this step or lay them on top of the beans just before you put them into the oven.
- In a separate bowl, combine 1 cup of the reserved water, with the remaining ingredients, and stir to mix.
- Pour mixture over beans and stir together.
- Cover the casserole dish and bake at 300 degrees for 2 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally
- Uncover and bake for another 2 hours, adding a little of the remaining reserved water, if they appear too dry.
- Serve hot.
Recipe Variation: Some people add 1/2 cup of ketchup into the baked beans at step #6.
More About Today
Holiday Insights, where every day is a holiday, a bizarre or wacky day, an observance, or a special event. Join us in the daily calendar fun each and every day of the year.
Did You Know? There are literally thousands of daily holidays, special events, and observances, more than one for every day of the year. and many of these holidays are new. People and organizations are creating new holidays regularly. Consequently, at Holiday Insights, we take great efforts to thoroughly research and document the details of each one, as completely and accurately as possible.